This April, the Cuyahoga Weavers Guild will host a 2-day workshop with Judy Dominic.
Workshop title: Bogolonfini (mud painting)
Description: Bogolonfini is the traditional method of recording and passing on the important village stories in Mali Africa. During this workshop we will create our own story designs using local mud on cotton and other natural fiber cloth. Gain an appreciation of the Mali culture while we have some local fun!
Date/time: April 18th and 19th, 2013, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Experience level: No experience necessary.
Materials and instructions:
Students will need to bring to class:
- White (or natural color) CLOTH (pre-washed, no softener added – ideal if washed several times or scoured as for dyeing – including PFD cloth) must be 100% natural fibers (cotton or linen or hemp or silk – or any combination of those materials –wool is okay, just not my favorite) – muslin needs to be thoroughly scoured (I tend to have trouble with muslin), shirt of any kind, new or used (100% cotton, etc.) knit or woven yardage or pre-made items: suitable for a wrap skirt or caftan or placemats or pillowcases or table cloth or curtains or… [The more days of workshop, the more cloth that can be used]
- Small container or two of local dirt/mud/clay (interesting colors?!)
- Several paint brushes you don’t mind destroying (hardware and/or craft store variety) good ones to have: stiff bristle, fine tip, wide flat – instructor will have a supply for use if you don’t have any; sponge brushes are not recommended
- 2-20 disposable cups (9 oz. clear plastic is good) or yogurt cups w/ lids
- Spoons or stirring rods for mixing mud
- Masking tape, any width or several widths
- 2-3 rolls paper towels
- 2-3 days worth of newspapers and / or cardboard to put between layers of cloth
- Optional: mortar/pestle; watercolor paper, sketch/watercolor paper, pencil; straightedge; stencils; scissors; stamps and flat dish to fit stamps; mordant suitable for your cloth; plastic containers (e.g. butter tubs with lids) and/or baggies for sharing/storing of extra muds/dirts; music to share (CDs)
Instructor will bring: handouts, 2-5 different cleaned muds and pigments, soy milk, retention agent, soda ash, vinegar, various tannins, practice cloths (cotton and silk), brushes, clothes line and pins, books, African music, samples, examples, second hand clothing available for class use/purchase, energy, ideas, etc.
Registration: Please complete the form below.
Fee: 2-day workshop $85 (same price for both members and non-members), material fee of $10 payable to the instructor. Send $50 deposit, checks made payable to Cuyahoga Weavers Guild. Mailing address for checks will be emailed to you after submission of the online registration form.
Questions? Contact Victoria Johnson-Parratt at firstname.lastname@example.org.